-->
1. I have archived much of my life through collected objects.
2. I have moved a smaller studio, making it necessary that I get rid of a lot of these objects.
3. I have done so by using them as the raw material for one enormous collage, created inside a 30-yard dumpster.
4. Oh, also, I have photographed around 500 of these objects and will display them here, accompanied by a brief history of each item.

DUTCH LIGHTER

2.7 x 7.2 x 1.2 cm
In 1995, I rode my bike through Europe with Hunter and Kacy. Hunter and I got there a week before Kacy, and on his second day of riding, we pushed a bit hard and went about 60 miles. Kacy hit a wall, so we stopped in the middle of nowhere, Netherlands. Also known as Hedel. 
The first restaurant we found had an outdoor patio inhabitated by a table  full of semi-young and thick Dutchmen. We couldn't tell if they were interested in talking with us or laughing at us.
12 hours, 16 beers, and dancing-to-a-Dutch-band-covering-American-pop-while-in-bike-shoes-at-the-county-fair later, we still weren't sure.
When we woke up after 4 or 5 hours of sleep on Jaime's floor, he had already left for work at the bakery. His mom was there. She didn't speak English, but she was a true saint. All she said was: "Jaime no here; work. You want aspirin?"

1 comment:

  1. when it rains, the wooorrrms come out...

    ReplyDelete