-->
1. I have archived much of my life through collected objects.
2. I have moved a smaller studio, making it necessary that I get rid of a lot of these objects.
3. I have done so by using them as the raw material for one enormous collage, created inside a 30-yard dumpster.
4. Oh, also, I have photographed around 500 of these objects and will display them here, accompanied by a brief history of each item.

QUICKIE WHEELCHAIR CARD FROM FRANNY

12.7 x 7.6 cm
I was in love with a girl named Franny. I look back at that time and appreciate every minute. Sometimes it reminds me that as youth wanes, so too does the uncalm wonder at life. At least a bit. I recall feeling anxious and nervous and I smile. I don't know what to say. I was in love.
Franny was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a couple years after college. The only way dignity is associated with that fucking disease is dependent on who it afflicts; in Franny's case, the dignity with which she responded was startling. She accosted her affliction head on and with humor. QUICKIE was the name she gave her wheelchair, threw a party in its 'honor'. This is the invite she mailed out.
The last time I saw Francesca, she couldn't speak. But I could, and so I did, and at least she could still laugh. And she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment