-->
1. I have archived much of my life through collected objects.
2. I have moved a smaller studio, making it necessary that I get rid of a lot of these objects.
3. I have done so by using them as the raw material for one enormous collage, created inside a 30-yard dumpster.
4. Oh, also, I have photographed around 500 of these objects and will display them here, accompanied by a brief history of each item.

ARAB BEEF

7.5 x 9.2 x 5.4 cm
I would say that my attraction to this item is large and part due to the fact that I don't see these letters as words so much as shapes; therefore, I am unencumbered by the labeling of this object and free to bask in its compositional quality.
I would say that, but I don't believe that formalism exists at all. I actually think Clement Greenberg might have had some weird agenda.
Yeah, I can't read this, so sure, the arabic is just a series of shapes for me to experience. Except that the baggage I bring to seeing the shapes I recognize as arabic inform my perception of this object.
Look, here's my point: this is handsome; this is encumbered by bias; this is the way it is.

2 comments:

  1. Haha... Weirdly enough, the larger script right above the cow literally reads "koornid beef." [How] does that complicate your perception of this object?

    ReplyDelete