-->
1. I have archived much of my life through collected objects.
2. I have moved a smaller studio, making it necessary that I get rid of a lot of these objects.
3. I have done so by using them as the raw material for one enormous collage, created inside a 30-yard dumpster.
4. Oh, also, I have photographed around 500 of these objects and will display them here, accompanied by a brief history of each item.

FRUIT CUP

5.5 x 5.5 x 6.0 cm
I went to art school. Part of the application process was to complete several arduous drawings. My mother let me stay home one week to work on my application. She would leave for work and trust that I would stay home, continue toward the completion of my application.
One morning, before she left, she entered my room and placed this fruit cup on the edge of my drawing table. She didn't say anything; I didn't look up. 
Over time, its seal gave way to the pressures of jostling or botulism, its contents spilled, its labeled stained. But I kept this fruit cup as an emblem of both my mother's trust in me and care for me. 
Any attempt at articulating my gratitude would certainly fall short; yet have been uttered words that offer due diligence to the eternal task that is Motherhood, so I will simply say this: I am nourished. Thanks Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment