-->
1. I have archived much of my life through collected objects.
2. I have moved a smaller studio, making it necessary that I get rid of a lot of these objects.
3. I have done so by using them as the raw material for one enormous collage, created inside a 30-yard dumpster.
4. Oh, also, I have photographed around 500 of these objects and will display them here, accompanied by a brief history of each item.

GOMPY HOLY CARD

6.3 x 10.6 cm
George Johanek is the name of my grandfather. We all called him Gompy. He was born on March 9th, 1907, and he passed away on on June 23rd, 2000. This is one of the Holy Cards from his funeral.
His parents were Czech. He was raised on a farm in Wisconsin, then spent most of his life in Rochester, New York  working as an engineer with the railway. Like me, he was the lucky father of two daughters. I learned a lot from Gompy, almost none of it directly stated. 
Here are the two most important things I learned from my grandfather:
1. How to work with my hands
2. If you borrow somebody's car for a mile or a month, you return it full.

No comments:

Post a Comment