-->
1. I have archived much of my life through collected objects.
2. I have moved a smaller studio, making it necessary that I get rid of a lot of these objects.
3. I have done so by using them as the raw material for one enormous collage, created inside a 30-yard dumpster.
4. Oh, also, I have photographed around 500 of these objects and will display them here, accompanied by a brief history of each item.

MATCHBOOK DRAWERS

7.4 x 5.4 x 5.7 cm
My Mother made this for my grandfather when she was a girl. It is a tiny cabinet of matchboxes for his pipe. 
Practically speaking, I do not have a use for this. I have not smoked for years.
As a sentimental device, this object makes my head spin
I have daughters, and anything that they create for me becomes a masterpiece. I am that typical. I am that predictable. I think that is inevitable. So to see an object that my mother made for her dad actually brings me closer to my now deceased grandfather; we are both fathers of daughters.
Mom, please don't think that I am throwing this out. This particular introspection would have likely never come to the forefront of my brain had I not committed this work of yours to The Dumpster Project. Having said that, you made it, so if you want it back, just let me know. 

1 comment:

  1. What a world. Now if your daddy smokes you don't make him a matchbox, you call Department of Social Services and report your dad for killing you with second hand smoke. Or worse you and your mom make him feel awful and guilty every day until he quits.

    ReplyDelete